- What information do producers need to register with Product Care?
The registration for producers will include submitting or confirming the following information to Product Care:
- Name, contact information, and address of the producer
- Name and contact information of the person responsible for registering the producer (primary contact)
- The brand name(s), if applicable, of each designated material (see key terms) that producers supplied to consumers in Alberta in the previous calendar year (see below)
- Whether the producer is a brand holder, an importer, or a retailer (see below)
- Whether the producer is a franchisor with franchisees in Alberta
- The weight (Kg or L) of designated material supplied to consumers in Alberta in the previous calendar years (2021-2023)
- A report prepared by an accredited third party in the form and manner specified by the Authority (ARMA) confirming the accuracy of the information submitted under Section 2.7g of the by-laws (weight of designated materials supplied to consumers)
- How will producers provide this information to Product Care?
Product Care intends to have producers register through Product Care’s reporting portal, ehfreporting.com, and submit the required data in line with how they currently submit their EHF data. Once ARMA has defined their reporting requirements, we will educate producers on how to submit this information.
- What are the regulations?
The Government of Alberta has introduced Extended Producer Responsibility for Hazardous and Special Products (HSP).
The Alberta Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Regulation for Hazardous and Special Products (HSP) and Single-use Products Packaging and Paper Products came into effect on November 30, 2022.
As in other provinces, the regulation makes Producers fully responsible for the collection and management of designated products.
- Who is obligated as a “Producer”? (Brand Holder/ Importer / Retailer)
The regulations (s. 14) define a Producer, for HSP, in a hierarchy, as:
- The brand holder of the product if the brand holder is a resident of Canada
- If there is no brand holder resident in Canada, the importer of the product is resident in Alberta
- If there is no person described in (a) or (b), the retailer who supplied the product to the consumer
- Is paint included in the new AB HSP program?
No. Paint is not included. If you currently report your paint sales to ARMA under the Paint Stewardship Program, you should continue to do so.
- How do I classify my products? / What is included in the Alberta HSP Program?
The Alberta HSP program will include:
- Corrosive products*
- Flammable products*
- Including Physically Hazardous products (non-refillable pressurized containers)*
- Toxic products*
*and the containers in which they are contained.
Supplied in quantities that are under 10Kg for solids, 10L for liquids and 680g for gaseous products.
The definitions for what is included in the HSP regulations in Alberta broadly align with the definitions of HHW under the Manitoba HHW program. Note. Alberta HSP includes Flammable solids.
The table below compares how products would be reported under the MB HHW and Alberta HSP programs. It is designed to allow Product Care producers who already categorize their products for the MB HHW Program to be able to quickly classify their products for the Alberta HSP program. For example, if a product is categorized as “Flammable Liquids/Solvents 0.75L or less” under the MB HHW Program, it will be classified as a flammable product under the Alberta HSP Program.
Manitoba HHW Reporting Category AB HSP Product Categories (Total Kg or L) Flammable Liquids/Solvents 0.75L or less Flammable Products Flammable Liquids/Solvents 751ml to 1L Flammable Liquids/Solvents 1.01L to 2L Flammable Liquids/Solvents 2.01L to 4L Flammable Liquids/Solvents – Aerosols 75ml or less Flammable Liquids/Solvents – Aerosols 76ml – 200ml Flammable Liquids/Solvents – Aerosols 201ml or more. Physically Hazardous Products Corrosives 0.75L or less Corrosive Products Corrosives 751ml to 1L Corrosives 1.01L to 2L Corrosives 2.01L to 4L Corrosives – Aerosols 75ml or less Corrosives – Aerosols 76ml – 200ml Corrosives – Aerosols 201ml or more. Toxics 0.75L or less Toxic Products Toxics 751ml to 1L Toxics 1.01L to 2L Toxics 2.01L to 4L Toxics – Aerosols 75ml or less Toxics – Aerosols 76ml – 200ml Toxics – Aerosols 201ml or more. Pesticides 0.75L or less Pesticide Products Pesticides 751ml to 1L Pesticides 1.01L to 2L Pesticides 2.01L to 4L Pesticides – Aerosols 75ml or less Pesticides – Aerosols 76ml – 200ml Pesticides – Aerosols 201ml or more.
- When does the program begin?
- PROs must submit a collections and management plan to ARMA by October 1, 2024.
- The EPR System for HSP must be operational by April 1, 2025.