Dear Product Care Ontario ISP members,
The Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) is now consulting on the proposed new regulation to replace the Municipal Hazardous and Special Waste program, called Hazardous and Special Products (HSP).
It is important that Ontario ISP members review the proposed new HSP regulation that will come into effect on July 1, 2021.
Some of the proposed changes include:
- Definition of Producers
- Obligated material definitions
- All Producers must register with Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA)
- Producers to provide RPRA with 3 year sales history upon registration
- RPRA fees (fees TBD) based on the amount Producers supplies to the market annually
- Producers can work with a Producer Responsibility Organization (PRO) or develop their own supply chain to meet their obligation
- Accessibility requirements
- Management requirements
- Promotion and education requirements
- Reporting, auditing and record keeping requirements
Note: Product Care will be a PRO for some obligated materials (including paint, pesticides, solvents and fertilizers) under the new HSP regulations.
The MECP consultation period on the HSP regulation ends March 28, 2021.
Link to proposed HSP regulation
Link to new regulation: Hazardous and Special Products (HSP) regulation for consultation
Link to ERO posting: Proposed producer responsibility regulation for Hazardous and Special Products (HSP) | Environmental Registry of Ontario