Dear Product Care member,
We encourage you to review the information provided below regarding ongoing consultation for BC’s EPR 5-year Action Plan on product categories that will be added to the Recycling Regulation in 2023.
The BC Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy is conducting targeted engagement with select stakeholders and partners on the implementation of the Extended Producer Responsibility Five-Year Action Plan 2021-2026. The Action Plan outlines a phased approach to regulating more products through extended producer responsibility (EPR).
They are hosting webinars to go over the product categories that will be added to the Recycling Regulation in 2023, including:
- Mattresses and foundations;
- Single use compressed cannisters (e.g., fuel, helium, spray foam, bear spray and aerosols), refillable propane canisters under 100lb and handheld fire extinguishers;
- More batteries (e.g., electric vehicle, golf carts, pet collars, textiles, etc.) and electronic accessories
The Ministry will be hosting one-hour informational webinars to outline how the new product categories will be regulated in 2023. The webinars will provide an overview of the product categories’ scope and definitions and the regulatory requirements for producers. Please note the recovery and recycling of Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional (ICI) packaging and paper will not be covered in these webinars.
The presentations will be tailored to two audience types – those who are new to EPR in B.C. and those who already have background knowledge. The ‘New to EPR’ sessions will provide more detail on what extended producer responsibility is, and how it is applied in British Columbia.
Below are the scheduled dates and times for each session:
New to EPR in B.C.:
- Session #1: Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 1:30 PM PDT | Registration Link
- Session #2: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 9:30 AM PDT | Registration Link
- Session #3: Tuesday October 18, 2022 at 2:00 PM PDT | Registration Link
Experienced with EPR in B.C.:
- Session #4: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 10:00 AM PDT | Registration Link
- Session #5: Thursday October 13, 2022 at 2:00 PM PDT | Registration Link
- Session #6: Monday October 17, 2022 at 1:30 PM PDT | Registration Link
How to register
If you are interested in participating in a webinar, please register through the registration link for your preferred session. Contact ExtendedProducerResponsibility@gov.bc.ca if you experience technical issues.
The ministry is accepting input regarding the product categories intended for inclusion in the Recycling Regulation to better inform the regulatory amendments in 2023. Feedback will be accepted until November 30, 2022.