Many of us already know that it’s important to take steps towards changing the world for the better. Whether it’s reducing our consumption or simply recycling, the idea of “being green” is engraved in our minds and it’s something that we strive to do on a daily basis.
On Earth Day this year, we wanted to take a moment to celebrate the efforts we all make to help keep the earth clean. Since Earth Day is also April 22nd, here are 22 ways you are always benefiting from celebrating Earth Day, every day!
- A space free of clutter actually makes you happier and less stressed. Recycling = relaxing!
- Making crafts out of old things is a great way to keep kids entertained and also helps you de-clutter for free
- Speaking of crafts, upcycling makes great use of your Pinterest account
- Taking greener transit (such as biking or walking) is better for the earth, your wallet and your health
- Actually, taking a vacation on a train is a far more fuel efficient way of travel than by air. Training across Canada is pretty cool, right?
- Eating locally and seasonally just tastes better! It also helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Keeping harmful waste (such as light bulbs) out of the landfill helps keep chemicals out of your food and water
- Products that are better for the environment typically last longer, so making smarter purchases will save you from frequent shopping trips in the ever-changing Canadian weather
- Many well-known actors and directors, such as Leonardo DiCaprio and James Cameron, are avid earth enthusiasts. Being green is therefore an easy way to feel like a celebrity
- Some car sharing programs allow you to drive different types of cars, while still reducing the number of vehicles on the road. How cool is having a new ride each time you pick up your friends?
- Re-usable mugs for coffee and tea are far more fashionable than takeaway containers
- Not using the printer at your office saves your desk from paper mountains and reduces consumption. After all, PDFs are the new hard copy
- Unplugging your chargers and small appliances when you’re not using them could save you up to 15% on your energy bill. That’s two extra lattes for your reusable mug a month!
- Opening your windows instead of turning on the AC during the summer evenings saves energy and provides you with a wonderful breath of fresh air
- On that note, during the winter months insulating your body is way cheaper and more effective than heating your home. Putting on a sweater also just feels cozier
- Volunteering for earth-related events is a great way to meet great new people who care about changing the world for the better
- There is strength in numbers. The more people that help to make the world better, the better it will be!
- Learning what you can and can’t recycle and taking action towards reducing waste instills a sense of pride and accomplishment. Plus, it’s easy!
- You can win prizes. Many local recycling depots, municipalities & not-for-profit organizations will award those who take action for recycling in their communities
- Donating your old or unwanted items that are still in good condition allows someone else to receive something new for the first time
- Earth is the only planet with chocolate – making more space by reducing waste only means more chocolate
- This planet is utilized by each and every one of us 365 days a year. It never feels bad to give back!
Happy Earth Day to all!