The ultimate summer position – get paid to travel the province
How would you like the opportunity to spend the summer traveling BC, and educating British Columbians about recycling and sustainability? Do you have great marketing skills and a passion for the environment? Yes? Fantastic – we want to hear from you!
As an ambassador of the ElectroRecycle program, you will be working in an outreach team of two driving throughout BC. Within the team, you will be the Marketing Coordinator and tasked with creating engaging content to promote our recycling program and the collection events planned by your teammate (the Event Coordinator). Additionally, you and your teammate will be the eyes and ears of the program, building relationships and collecting feedback from important stakeholders such as regional government officials, collection sites, and retailers. This role involves a variety of work environments including working from home, driving a van throughout the province, and working at collection events that require you to roll up your sleeves to support our mission of diverting small appliances and power tools from BC’s landfills. Each day will look a little different from the last!
What you get to do
- Travel the province to promote, educate, and offer collection opportunities to communities with a focus on remote and underserviced areas
- Curate marketing content (create post copy, photos, videos, and event posts) on ElectroRecycle’s social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) and write blog posts for our website using WordPress
- Organize and create promotional materials for collection events to be shared on digital and traditional platforms
- Collaborate with your teammate to create reports summarizing your team’s results and meet with recycling depots and local government to create a two-way dialogue about the program
- Act as a spokesperson for ElectroRecycle (media training will be provided)
What the benefits are
- An opportunity to explore and engage with communities throughout BC
- Flexible work environment, when you’re not on the road for events and/or meetings, you will work from the comfort of your own home
- Expenses provided for travel outside of Kamloops including food (per diem) and accommodation
- Portion of cell phone bill covered to fulfill job duties ($50/month)
- Laptop provided
- Cargo Van (18 feet long) and fuel provided for job duties
Who we are looking for
- Enrolled or have completed post-secondary training in a relevant discipline or diploma such as marketing, communications, or environmental studies
- Hold a valid Class 5 driving license with a clean driver’s abstract and are comfortable driving an 18-foot Cargo Van • You are responsible, fun, outgoing, and enthusiastic
- You are comfortable being the face of the program – appearing on social media is a must
- You are comfortable setting up and working at outdoor events and working in various weather conditions
- You are physically able to lift 50 pounds throughout the day and are motivated to collect as many small appliances as possible this summer to help protect the environment
- You have a successful track record for working independently and as a collaborative team member
- You have experience creating fun and engaging content for social media and writing blog content
- You are organized, punctual, and have a professional demeanor
- You are an effective written communicator across various media, including proofreading spelling and grammar, writing long-form blogs, copywriting snappy social media posts, and interpreting numbers into written reports
- Visual design skills like photography and graphic design are strongly preferred (e.g., Adobe Suite and Canva experience)
- Previous work experience in marketing, outreach, and/or sustainability is an asset
- Reliable access to a smartphone that allows the job tasks to be completed efficiently and effectively is required (the phone must have the most current versions of social media apps and have a camera with minimum 12MP)
- You are comfortable working on the weekends and completing work trips out of Kamloops for time periods that may range up to 2 weeks
- COVID-19 Vaccination: as this is a public-facing role, it is our expectation that the successful candidates will be fully vaccinated or prepared to produce negative rapid testing results on a regular basis (at their own cost) on the occasion that provincial and/or federal health orders come into place
Who we are
ElectroRecycle is BC’s small appliance and power tool recycling program managed by the Canadian Electrical Stewardship Association (CESA). It is the first small appliance-recycling program of its kind in Canada and the only government-approved small appliance-recycling program in BC. ElectroRecycle accepts +400 items ranging in size from microwaves to electric toothbrushes. For more information, please visit electrorecycle.ca.
How to contact us
To apply to be part of ElectroRecycle’s Summer Ambassador Team, please submit a cover letter and resume to Lcoulter@electrorecycle.ca with the subject line ‘Ambassador Marketing Coordinator 2023’ by March 5, 2023.
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you are excited about this role, but your experience and qualifications are not perfectly aligned, we still encourage you to apply. This is a paid, full-time, contract position (40 hours per week). The start date is May 3rd and the end date is August 22nd, 2023.