The ultimate summer position – get paid to travel the province
How would you like the opportunity to spend the summer traveling BC, and educating British Columbians about recycling and sustainability? Do you have great communication skills and a passion for the environment? Yes? Fantastic – we want to hear from you!
As an ambassador of the ElectroRecycle program, you will be working in an outreach team of two driving throughout BC. Within the team, you will be the Ambassador Event Coordinator and tasked to connect with municipalities, retailers, indigenous communities, and local community-based organizations to plan, promote, and execute pop-up recycling collection events. Additionally, you and your teammate will be the eyes and ears of the program, building relationships and collecting feedback from important stakeholders such as regional government officials, collection sites, and retailers. This role involves a variety of work environments including working from home, driving a van throughout the province, and working at collection events that require you to roll up your sleeves to support our mission of diverting small appliances and power tools from BC’s landfills. Each day will look a little different from the last!
What you get to do
- Travel the province to educate about our recycling program and organize collection opportunities for communities with a focus on remote and underserviced areas
- Responsible for planning the logistics of outreach trips including reaching out to communities to plan and promote events, planning routes, and hotels, connecting with local government and collection sites along travel routes, connecting with sustainability and repair organizations
- Support the Ambassador Marketing Coordinator in creating marketing content for ElectroRecycle’s social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) and blog posts
- Meet with recycling depots and local government to facilitate a two-way dialogue about the program
- In collaboration with the Ambassador Marketing Coordinator, create reports summarizing your team’s work (i.e., marketing results, stakeholder meetings feedback, and event results)
- Act as a spokesperson for ElectroRecycle (media training will be provided)
What the benefits are
- An opportunity to explore and engage with communities throughout BC
- Flexible work environment, when you’re not on the road for events and/or meetings, you will work from the comfort of your own home
- Expenses provided for travel outside of Kamloops including food (per diem) and accommodation
- Portion of cell phone bill covered to fulfill job duties ($50/month)
- Laptop provided
- Cargo Van (18 feet long) and fuel provided for job duties
Who we are looking for
- Enrolled or have completed post-secondary training in a relevant discipline or diploma such as marketing, communications, or environmental studies
- Hold a valid Class 5 driving license with a clean driver’s abstract and are comfortable driving an 18-foot Cargo Van
- You are responsible, fun, outgoing, and enthusiastic
- You are comfortable being the face of the program – appearing on social media is a must
- You are comfortable setting up and working at outdoor events and working in various weather conditions
- You are physically able to lift 50 pounds throughout the day and have the drive to collect as many small appliances as possible this summer to help protect the environment
- You have a successful track record for working independently and as a collaborative team member
- You are organized, punctual, have a professional demeanor, and detail oriented
- You are an effective communicator across various media and comfortable reaching out to different types of stakeholders including through phone calls, Microsoft Teams, and email
- Previous work experience in event planning, outreach, and/or sustainability is an asset
- Reliable access to a smartphone that allows the job tasks to be completed efficiently and effectively is required
- You are comfortable working on the weekends and completing work trips out of Kamloops for time periods that may range up to 2 weeks
- COVID-19 Vaccination: as this is a public-facing role, it is our expectation that the successful candidates will be fully vaccinated or prepared to produce negative rapid testing results on a regular basis (at their own cost) on the occasion that provincial and/or federal health orders come into place
Who we are
ElectroRecycle is BC’s small appliance and power tool recycling program managed by the Canadian Electrical Stewardship Association (CESA). It is the first small appliance-recycling program of its kind in Canada and the only government-approved small appliance-recycling program in BC. ElectroRecycle accepts +400 items ranging in size from microwaves to electric toothbrushes. For more information, please visit electrorecycle.ca.
How to contact us
To apply to be part of ElectroRecycle’s Summer Ambassador Team, please submit a cover letter and resume to Lcoulter@electrorecycle.ca with the subject line ‘Ambassador Event Coordinator 2023’ by March 5th, 2023.
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you are excited about this role, but your experience and qualifications are not perfectly aligned, we still encourage you to apply. This is a paid, full-time, contract position (40 hours per week). The start date is May 3rd and the end date is August 22nd, 2023.